March 30, 2012
When owning a business there is always the possibility of getting sued, so it is important, as an owner, to protect yourself as best as possible. Here are five tips to help keep you and your business safe against being sued:
- Watch what you do and say, this could be used against you. This means owners and their employees should not make any public announcement that may be questionable.
- Hire a knowledgeable attorney. There are several good resources to help you find the right attorney including professional references.
- Separate yourself from your business so that way if your business is sued, your personal assets could be attacked or attached in a court of law.
- Insure your business with the correct amount and kind of insurance in case of any accidents.
- Protect your files with correct security software (if on the computer); have back up files in case the others are lost for some reason, and additional safeties depending on where you live and the risk of hurricanes or other natural disasters.
Most people build their business from nothing, so it is important to protect it because of all of the work you put into it. By following these tips your business should be safe if a lawsuit occurs.