February 24, 2012
Many running enthusiasts agree that the key to better running is form. Here are 5 tips to help you on your way to improving your form when running:
- Your hands should be lightly cupped, keep loose wrists, bend your elbows at a 90 degree angle, and elbows should swing between your chest and waistline.
- Hold your head high, focus your gaze ahead of you, and keep your shoulders relaxed and parallel to the ground.
- Deep abdominal and stomach breathing is essential to good running.
- Your foot should strike the ground from heel to toe.
- When running uphill, pick up your knees and shorten your stride while increasing your stride rate. The steeper the hills the more arm motion you will need.
So remember arms and hands, posture, breathing, foot-strike, and ways to run the hills are all important to know to improve your running form and make it a bit less painful the next day.