May 25, 2011
The appropriate channels for communication should be specified by an organization’s policies. Most often those persons who need to be informed of an incident include:
- The Individual’s Attending Physician – needs to know what happened to determine the effect of the event on the patient
- The Immediate Patient Care Supervisor – needs to know what has happened in order to take action to prevent a recurrence.
- The Risk Manager or Quality Improvement Coordinator—of an organization will use the information from incident reports to institute corrective action and to develop staff education as a long-range benefit.
- Family/Guardian of Individual —needs to be notified of the incident and the follow-up plan of action.
- Other Specified Personnel —such as Human Resources, the Medical Director, Pharmacist, or Safety Officers
For more information, visit www.InsureAnonprofit.com and check out our new research center!